Thursday, May 24, 2012

Art in Madrid


It’s funny how tastes in art evolve.

Last time I was here, I hadn’t painted since elementary school, and I *loved* the Prado (a VERY large fine art museum, featuring most of Bosch’s, El Greco’s, Velasquez’s, and Goya’s works), and just kind of ‘meh’d my way through the Reina Sofia (a modern and contemporary art museum).

Now, after two years of fooling around with paint on my own, I was all over the Reina Sofia. Don’t get me wrong, the Prado was still EXCELLENT (particularly since I got to see St. Andrew and St. Francis by El Greco and The Garden of Earthly Delights by Bosch, which are two of my favorite paintings), but aside from the famous works, I really enjoyed the Reina Sofia more. Techniques and styles since impressionism interest me more now than they used to, I suppose.

I will say that abstract expressionism is still something I enjoy in small doses. Give me one or two to look at, and I’ll analyze them all day long. Put me in a room with 34 works titled “Untitled number #” consisting of a blue dot and black line, and I just get a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment